Gavin™ is an award-winning full-service boutique branding and communications agency located in Central PA. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and being an employer of choice where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and do their best work. We’re looking for a Media Relations Manager who has an ambitious mindset to help us do amazing work. Headquartered in York with offices located in Harrisburg and Lancaster, this opportunity is perfect for a professional that enjoys the occasional change in scenery!
This role may be a 100% work remote or majority work remote position, with limited onsite meetings as needed with teammates and clients. For talent with a proven track record of success and outcomes, our team will accommodate changes to the limited onsite requirements.
The Media Relations Manager is responsible for working across the Public Relations department to identify and secure earned national media opportunities for various clients in a variety of industries, supporting social media and content creation to maximize outcomes for our clients. This includes surfacing proactive opportunities for clients based on news cycles, client strategies. as well as offering counsel alongside the senior team on reactive media opportunities and issues and crisis management scenarios. The role requires an experienced, tenacious, and outside – the – box thinker who can push pursue earned media opportunities that will advance our client’s core objectives. This individual must possess in-depth knowledge the inner workings of media relations, an excellent writer and editor, work well under intense deadlines and think quick on their feet to support client needs. In addition, the individual must have a robust knowledge of relevant analytics, social media, and influential media platforms.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain strong relationships with teammates
- Develop and maintain deep relationships with local, regional, trade and national media on behalf of existing clients
- Responsible for time management per client scope of work, confirm with account managers on how many billable hours are available for media relations
- Maintains detailed media data base records by client assignment
- Relentless pursuit of media opportunities, including being an avid reader of industry news and media updates to keep the team apprised of opportunities
- Develops media relations content including but not limited to:
- Pitch letters; News releases; Messaging; FAQ’s; Blogs; Byline articles etc.
- Effectively communicates with team members regarding outreach progress and updates
- Generates new ideas/new ways to grow media relations services to clients, as appropriate
- Strong understanding and proven track record of leveraging social media platforms for enhanced outcomes and pitching to amplifying client success across all distribution channels
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Ability to strategically navigate messaging and develop speaking points, inclusive of prepping clients for interviews on key points
- Assist with proposal (new / existing) development, as needed
- Stay abreast of media market changes, reporter changes etc.
- Knowledge of media tracking and sourcing systems such as Cision and Critical Mention a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism or English
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant national and local market media relations experience (healthcare, education, CPG etc.)
- Excellent writing skills for senior level ghost writing and content creation
- Established local, regional and national media contacts
- Prolific at understanding what the media needs and what makes a pitch successful
- Ability to drive and prioritize multiple assignments
- Proven track record of delivering earned media coverage and establishing relationships with journalists
- Must possess the ability to be solution – oriented and work under minimal supervision
- Proficient in MS office including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc. and demonstrate d ability to learn new systems quickly
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to manage high stress situations; remain calm under pressure
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
Gavin ™ is an equal opportunity employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, benefits, compensation, and training. We seek to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws related to discrimination.
Gavin™ makes decisions concerning employment based strictly on business needs and an individual’s qualifications and ability to perform the job under consideration, the comparative qualifications and abilities of other applicants or employees, and the individual’s past performance within the organization.
Please submit resume, cover letter, three professional references and at least one relevant work sample to email@example.com.
INCOMPLETE submissions/applications will not be considered. NO PHONE CALLS.